Thursday, April 16, 2015

'The Young and the Restless' Renewal, Meetings & Victoria Rowell Among 173,000 Leaked Sony Emails Archived by Wikileaks

Leaked-document catch-all Wikileaks announced today the creation of a massive archive containing more than 30,000 pages—including 173,000 emails—from the Sony hacking that so disrupted Hollywood late last year. Included are some revealing exchanges about The Young and the Restless, the Sony daytime soap opera that has aired on CBS since March 1973. Check out some of the more interesting emails below:

From mailer-daemon
To pauline, kent, steve
RE: ATTENTION. Security file 23-4
I spoke to Jill and she disagrees with you,,,we have your phone number...should I have her call you to discuss?

Sent from my Sony Xperia™ Z on T-Mobile’s 4G LTE Network

---- Pauline Murphy wrote ----

We the fans of Y&R want Billy Miller to stay on the show as Billy Abbott.Billy and Amelia are a very popular couple and it was them that made the couple Billy and Victoria popular.Without that pairing you have nothing,just two actor's.Billy and Amelia have chemistry that is right off the wall and you won't get that with anyone else.WE WANT BILLY MILLER,WE DO NOT WANT ANY RECAST IN HIS PLACE...........BILLY MILLER IS BILLY ABBOTT..........I think it's time you fired Jill Farren Phelps before she destroys this show all together,your going to loose a lot of fans if you let Billy Miller leave.It should be JFP that was fired not Billy Miller.Letting Billy go is not going to bring your ratings up or get you back to be the #1 show,it's going to do the very opposite.

From mailer-daemon
To mcdaniel, angelica
Re:
Fuck em

Sent on the run

> On Jun 18, 2014, at 7:53 PM, "McDaniel, Angelica I" wrote:
> Bill's a piece of work. Guess he won't take up my offer to be the president of our fan club...

From mailer-daemon
To kanner, fayanne
Re: Sony and CBS Y&R meeting
Can't

Sent on the run

On Jun 10, 2014, at 9:08 AM, "Kanner, Fayanne" wrote:

Nina’s team needs a second option for the meeting and are asking for Friday 6/20 at 3:30 or 4pm at Radford. Pls advise

From: Manik, Victoria C [mailto:victoria.manik@cbs]
Sent: Monday, June 09, 2014 6:54 PM
To: Kanner, Fayanne
Cc: Clifford, Matthew
Subject: RE: Sony and CBS Y&R meeting

This is the first choice but Nina’s team needs an alternate to pitch to Bill Bell. They will push the 19th at 11AM but need to offer a second option just to be safe. Would 6/20 at either 3:30 or 4 work?

Matt, I know Steve had a personal appointment in the AM and therefore the 9:30 was initially not an option, but would the later afternoon option work?

Thanks team! Sorry for any confusion,

V

VICTORIA MANIK l CBS Daytime Programming l Office of Angelica McDaniel

From mailer-daemon
To frost, jeffreykent, steve, mazzu, joanne
RE: Y&R
Go for it…

From: Frost, Jeffrey
Sent: Tuesday, December 03, 2013 5:07 PM
To: Mosko, Steve
Cc: Kent, Steve; Mazzu, Joanne
Subject: Y&R

We just heard from CBS. They are offering a flat deal with a 2 + 1 year term. They are also looking to increase the number of originals from 253 to 255 episodes. All other terms would remain the same.

We would suggest going back and accepting the flat license fee but insisting on 3 years firm. In exchange for the 3 years firm, we would agree to the additional 2 original episodes (which are actually better for us because there is minimal cost and it eliminates our residual obligation on 2 repeat eps). We would also ask them to eliminate the ATL/BTL bifurcation.

From mailer-daemon
To benson, bobbie
Attached Files
# Filename Size
15658 EAS 296B
FW: Rowell - Notice from DFEH; Our Response Due 4/2/14
Please print

From: Burke, Mary
Sent: Monday, March 17, 2014 2:32 PM
To: Weil, Leah
Subject: FW: Rowell - Notice from DFEH; Our Response Due 4/2/14

Attorney-Client Privileged Communication

The claim of Victoria Rowell (former Y & R actress) did not settlement a mediation. Our attorney were copied on this notice that we will now need to respond to the claim.

As you will see it looks like they sent the notice to Michael Lynton’s attention. I will alert his office to send it to my attention.

From: Carroll, Betsy [mailto:BetsyCarroll@dwt.com]
Sent: Monday, March 17, 2014 2:21 PM
To: Burke, Mary
Cc: LeCrone, John
Subject: Rowell - Notice from DFEH; Our Response Due 4/2/14

Hi Mary,

This afternoon, we received the attached notice from the DFEH, confirming that the Rowell matter has been transferred back to the Enforcement division. Our response to the Notice of Filing of Discrimination Complaint will now be due by April 2.

We will work on a draft response this week and be in touch soon.

Thanks,

Betsy

Betsy Carroll | Davis Wright Tremaine LLP

From lynton, michael
To sipkins, charles
pass, thanks

On Oct 16, 2014, at 5:49 PM, Sipkins, Charles wrote:
I will decline on your behalf. As noted, I checked with Paula at SPT.
Begin forwarded message:

From: "Askanas, Paula"
Date: October 16, 2014 at 5:39:36 PM PDT
To: "Sipkins, Charles"
Subject: RE: Victoria Rowell - request from Soap Opera Digest

Nope.

From: Sipkins, Charles
Sent: Thursday, October 16, 2014 5:39 PM
To: Askanas, Paula
Subject: Fwd: Victoria Rowell - request from Soap Opera Digest

I can't think of any reason why Michael would do this. Can you?
Begin forwarded message:

From: "Alaimo, Gabriella"
Date: October 16, 2014 at 4:48:26 PM PDT
To: "Sipkins, Charles"
Cc: "Weaver, Keith" , "Romano, Marianne" , "Askanas, Paula" , "Kalouria, Sheraton"
Subject: Victoria Rowell - request from Soap Opera Digest

Hi,

I oversee the publicity for THE YOUNG AND THE RESTLESS on behalf of Sony Pictures Television. Devin Owens, a reporter for Soap Opera Digest, recently did an interview with Victoria Rowell for her new movie with Kristoff St. John, and in it, she claims to have been in discussions with Y&R to return, but it hasnt worked out for various reasons, which she explains in the excerpt from the article below. Devin has requested to interview Steve Kent and Michael Lynton about this. I reached out to Steve and we declined to comment, but Devin has now come back and wants to know if he can speak with Michael Lynton.

I am happy to decline comment on behalf of Mr. Lynton, however please let me know if you would prefer to handle with Devin directly.

Thank you.

Gabriella

VICTORIA ROWELL: IVE REQUESTED TO GO BACK TO WORK.

If youve been wondering why Victoria Rowell still hasnt been invited back to reprise Y&Rs berpopular Drucilla Winters, well, the outspoken actress is right there with you. Ive requested to go back to work since 2010 and have been told no, she reveals. Its political and its complicated.

Though many fans have clamored for Drucillas return ever since she was presumed dead in 2007, Rowell claims that Sony Pictures Television, Y&Rs producing partner, isnt keen on her comeback. The National Urban League sent a letter to Steve Kent, the Senior Executive Vice President of Sony Pictures Television requesting my reinstatement, Rowell reports. And Steves response said several things, but what he said about me was this and you can quote: Bringing back the character Victoria Rowell played in THE YOUNG AND THE RESTLESS is not a creative direction the show will like to take. That was November 6, 2012. So, this is very serious, that I am prohibited from working [on Y&R].

Rowell hoped things had changed when she recently engaged in talks with Sonys top brass. Youre getting a bit of a scoop right now, but I sat down with the president of Sony, Marc Lynton, about this, Rowell shares, but also reports that theres never been any follow-up after the positive tte--tte. I know that CBS has a huge say in my return to YOUNG AND THE RESTLESS. This is a company Ive worked for for 21 years, 14 in daytime and eight in prime-time, and that includes other shows, guest stars. And I think I know a little bit about the company, the corporation and I know that the work has a lot to do with who works and who doesnt.

Rowell maintains that at issue is her fierce advocacy for diversity behind the scenes, which has rubbed execs the wrong way. Just because something is systemically wrong, which it is, doesnt mean that you turn your back on it and say, Oh, well, which unfortunately is quite the case, Rowell notes. Its astounding that people choose to bury their heads in the sand. I have no control over that. Anytime you attempt to bring about change, there is going to be pushback and its been very transparent that pushback has happened for me in daytime. Thank God I have a portfolio career and continue to do television and films.

Which includes MARRY US FOR CHRISTMAS, a holiday movie airing December 7 on the Hallmark channel and also stars Rowells former Y&R husband, Kristoff St. John (Neil). I love working with my soul mate Kristoff, she smiles. I am as loyal to him as he is to me.

In the meantime, Rowell is hopeful Y&R will reach out. Instead of wasting all that energy on stonewalling, we could be sitting at the table engaging in conversations that will inspire a bigger audience share and inspire more diversity. Its so simple, she asserts. I remain inspired and hopeful in that part of my career in daytime but I dont let moss grow under my feet. I have other options and Im very grateful for that.

GABRIELLA ALAIMO THOMAS | Executive Director, Media & Talent Relations | Sony Pictures Television

10202 West Washington Boulevard, Jack Cohn #3015, Culver City, California 90232
Tel: 310.244.3538 | Fax: 310.244.2004 | E-mail: gabriella_alaimo@sony

From: Owens, Devin [mailto:devin.owens@soapoperadigest]
Sent: Monday, October 13, 2014 3:54 PM

Do either of you have contact info on either Steve Kent or Marc Lynton? I need to move forward on this so I can call and/or email them myself. I guess I can always call the main number at Sony. LOL!

Thanks!

From: , Microsoft Office User
Date: Monday, October 13, 2014 at 2:28 PM
To: "Kane, Matt K" , "Freeman, Jimmy G"
Subject: Victoria Rowell

I did an interview with Victoria Rowell for her new movie with Kristoff and in it, she claims to have been in discussions with Y&R to return, but it havent worked out for the various reasons she explains below. I need to contact Steve Kent and Marc Lyntons office to verify her account, or get a comment, or a no comment, but before I went that route, I wanted to loop you in to see if you wanted to handle it. Please let me know as soon as possible. Here is the story.

Thanks!

From mosko, steve
To angelica.mcdaniel@cbs

Sent on the run
On Aug 11, 2014, at 12:38 PM, "McDaniel, Angelica I" wrote:

He’s on set now taping and looks great! We’ve received so much press from this when it was announced, a bunch of reporters on set today and he’s doing a press tour in September when it airs. Great positive boost we needed.

From mailer-daemon
To 'mcdaniel, angelica, kent, stevekalouria, sheraton
RE:
Yes.sheraton..let's change the board asap!! I'm serious

-----Original Message-----
From: McDaniel, Angelica I [mailto:Angelica.McDaniel@cbs]
Sent: Monday, June 23, 2014 4:45 PM
To: Kent, Steve
Cc: Mosko, Steve
Subject: Re:

Fantastic! Does this mean we can replace DAYS on the SONY lot billboard? (Said with a smile)

> On Jun 23, 2014, at 12:57 PM, "Kent, Steve" wrote:
> Y and r won the most Emmys in its history !!!

From mailer-daemon
To carney, amy
Re: Facts for Michael's speech
What speech

Sent on the run

> On May 2, 2014, at 3:57 PM, "Carney, Amy" wrote:
> FYI
> Begin forwarded message:
> From: "Klein, Megan"
> Date: May 2, 2014 at 1:54:48 PM MDT
> To: "Leconte, Dominik" >
> Cc: "Carney, Amy" >, "Petretti, James" >

> Subject: RE: Facts for Michael's speech
> Thanks so much for your help, Dominik!
> From: Leconte, Dominik
> Sent: Friday, May 02, 2014 12:54 PM
> To: Klein, Megan
> Cc: Carney, Amy; Petretti, James
> Subject: Facts for Michael's speech
> Hi Megan,
> Here are some data points in support of Michael’s speech in Tokyo. Please let me know should you have any questions or need more help.

> SVOD
> BREAKING BAD is a great example of how the show’s linear consumption really exploded after it became available on SVOD. Prior its Sept 1, 2011 Netflix availability the program averaged 1.9M viewers Live +7, after the program averaged 3.63M, a 148% increase. Among AMC’s key demo of Adults 18-49, the growth was even stronger from 1.1M pre to 3.38M after SVOD availability, basically tripling its Live+7 day audience in size. By the way this growth was apparent across both live and playback viewing. Live viewers increased by +97% in total viewers, +124% among Adults 18-49, while DVR playback only viewing catapulted +297% in total viewers, and +303% among Adults 18-49. I’m pasting in below the pre and post Nielsen data for Total viewers and Adults 18-49.

> [cid:image001.jpg@01CF6605.B2F2A5F0]
> Also the below audience growth chart for all original episodes with marked time line of SVOD availability. Quite incredible on all fronts.

> [cid:image002.jpg@01CF6605.B2F2A5F0]
> DVR
> SPT’s THE BLACKLIST has set TV marketplace records for audience lift beyond same day ratings, accounting for 9 of the top 10 telecasts with highest total audience lift ever from DVR playback. For each of these 9 telecasts, the total viewer audience gained more than 6M beyond same night viewing audience.

> [cid:image003.jpg@01CF6605.B2F2A5F0]
> Clearly, BREAKING BAD is also a great story for DVR playback, with the show’s DVR playback surpassing live viewing within last couple of seasons. For instance since September 2011, 1.99M A18-49 viewers watched the show through DVR playback, while 1.39M watched it live. During the show’s first few seasons the live viewing audience was about 26% higher than playback audience (see chart in the first section).

> However, probably the unsung heroes of DVR benefit are Sony’s two daytime dramas, DAYS OF OUR LIVES and THE YOUNG AND THE RESTLESS. Both program’s have seen a very steady and consistent rise in DVR lift since Nielsen started measuring DVR’s back in 2005. DAYS OF OUR LIVES currently has a lift of around 80% beyond live viewing among women 18-54, while THE YOUNG AND THE RESTLESS has a lift north of 50% (see chart below for historical growth). Most importantly this DVR playback has allowed for the total audience consumption of the program to remain steady across last 10 years. For instance THE YOUNG AND THE RESTLESS was averaging 5.3M total viewers in 2004-2005 season, the season prior Nielsen incorporated DVR’s into their sample, and in its current 2013-2014 season it also averages 5.3M total viewers within the Live+7 day metric.

From mailer-daemon
To 'mcdaniel, angelicakent, steve
Attached Files
# Filename Size
108 EAS 332B
I fucking can’t stand a certain person that worked somewhere else and now works in a sister comp of yours…if she says 1 negative thing about queen l or any of our shows I will rip the biggest money maker from that group…that is our show…wheel/jeop… out of her stinky little…man hands…I do have a mean side…

From: McDaniel, Angelica I [mailto:Angelica.McDaniel@cbs.com]
Sent: Thursday, October 24, 2013 1:18 PM
To: Marshall, Cindy; wbell1962@aol.com; Kent, Steve; Phelps, Jill; Anthony Morina (tm1693@hotmail.com); O'Leary, Mary; Fisher, John; O'Connell, Josh; Olsen, Matt; Romano, Marianne; Alaimo, Gabriella; Wilson, Judy B; Salmon, Greg; Walsh, Laura; Villafan, Renee; Mccaffrey, Dan; Shelly Altman; Tracey Thomson; jlpassanante@mac.com; Rosener, Tina K; Byrnes, Thomas; Tanji, Kathleen; Freeman, Jimmy G; Raftery, Kelli; Mccaffrey, Dan
Cc: Tassler, Nina; Wain, Margot; Mosko, Steve
Subject: RE: "THE YOUNG AND THE RESTLESS" DELIVERS ITS LARGEST WEEKLY AUDIENCE SINCE FEBRUARY

This is a direct result of all of your efforts and hard work. Just in time for the upcoming 25th anniversary of Y&R being daytime’s #1 drama. Congratulations!

1 comment:

1. I saw one to Mosko dated June 21, 2014 that was about trying to work a deal to get Days on TVGN (now POP). It sounded like Sony was looking to fill TVGN's 6pm time slot and hoping to get an offer from the cabler within a week.

ReplyDelete