On Thursday, the National Academy of Television Arts & Sciences (NATAS) announced that "four highly-followed, well-respected social media gurus" would "serve as online tour guides through the red carpet" during Sunday's 41st Annual Daytime Emmy Awards. Lauren Elizabeth (Twitter), Brittany Furlan (Vine), Jessica Harlow (Facebook), and Meghan Rosette (Instagram) were selected by Here Media to represent the Daytime Emmys in this endeavor "not only for their enthusiastic social media followings, but because they are aligned with the celebratory nature of the event and the supportive environment that the organization promotes." Tonight, after watching the embarrassing and disrespectful red carpet show which will go down in history as the worst red carpet show ever, NATAS has some explaining to do.
With their shameless flirting, tacky behavior, and lack of knowledge about who almost everyone was, the four "gurus" managed to make the Dayime Emmys seem as low class and trashy as an awards show could possibly be.
NATAS brought on Paul Colichman (executive producer of Dante's Cove and The Lair) and Here Media to handle all aspects of social media for the event. Big mistake.
Here are some examples of what happened on the red carpet and social media lounge:
* Furlan and Elizabeth came onto Ryan Paevey (Nathan, General Hospital) in a very sleazy way and said as he left: "We're going to get you away from us before we rape you."
* Harlowe and Rosette made a "once you go black" joke with Days of our Lives actor Guy Wilson (Will).
* Harlow asked Lawrence Saint-Victor (Carter, The Bold and the Beautiful), "a beautiful chocolate man," the following: "What's it like to be a black man on a soap opera these days?" We weren't about to get any deep thoughts, though, she just couldn't think of anything else to say.
* Furlan said to nominated The Young and the Restless alum Daniel Polo: "I don't want to go to jail for this one.” Upon learning the young actor is in fact (barely) of age, she then remarked: "Oh, so he’s legal!"
* Furlan told One Life to Live star Tuc Watkins (David) and executive producer Jen Pepperman she had sweat streaming down her spanx.
* Furlan and Elizabeth talked about vagina cream with Y&R nominee Max Ehrich (Fen) and his girlfriend. They also "would be a lesbian" for his co-star Amelia Heinle (who would win later for her work as Victoria).
* Furlan and Elizabeth assumed any man and woman that approached them together were a couple, such as General Hospital's Maura West (Ava) and Tyler Christopher (Nikolas), asking them when they were going to get married. Nominees Kristen Alderson (Kiki) and Chad Duell (Michael), who are a real-life couple, were asked when they were going to have a baby.
* Heather Tom had a chance to make Daytime Emmy history with a win but they just wanted to talk about her "boobs".
There was sadly much more madness than this short list examples. Fans on social media could not believe what they were watching and that NATAS would allow such a classless and disrespectful red carpet show to represent the talented people that work in Daytime television.
General Hospital star Finola Hughes (Anna) summed up this trainwreck best with just one look.
You can watch a playback of the livestream now but it has been flagged as "mature content".
Will NATAS address the complaints and apologize to fans and the Daytime TV community? Stay tuned.
Click here for a complete list of Daytime Emmy Awards winners.