|Mary Beth Evans won her first Daytime Emmy award on Friday, April 24 as a producer on The Bay.|
Evans blogged about her lack of story when she returned to Days as Kayla in 2010.
"I was working in the family pub, and I would have days when all I would say was, 'here is your to go order.'" Evans wrote. "At first I felt a bit humiliated and asked myself, 'how did it get to this?' Then I realized that I was lucky to have the job at all, and instead decided that I’d be the VERY best background player there ever was! I rocked that pretend bar – marrying condiments, folding napkins, wiping down the counters! I hung in there with a smile on my face and an improved attitude, and eventually things improved. Now, here we are four – five years later it has all changed again. I am back on contract, working like crazy and loving the stories I am playing. It is crazy how it turned around."
Days of our Lives has been undergoing a number of changes in front of and behind the camera this year as the show heads toward its 50th anniversary in November, as well as a possible renewal or cancellation.
Head Writers Gary Tomlin and Christopher Whitesell were replaced by Dena Higley and Josh Griffith on February 16. A top script writer was let go soon after.
In March, it was announced that Lisa de Cazotte was out as co-executive producer, replaced by director/producer Albert Alarr. Janet Spellman-Rider was upped to producer.
Longtime fan favorites like Peter Reckell (Bo Brady), Stephen Nichols (Steve Johnson) and Alison Sweeney) are among those returning to the show for its milestone anniversary.
* Dena Higley and Josh Griffith Named New Head Writers of 'Days of our Lives'
* Stephen Nichols & Peter Reckell Returning to 'Days of our Lives'
* 'The Young and the Restless' and 'Days of our Lives' Daytime Emmy Winners Visit 'The Talk' (Video)
* 'Days of our Lives' Renewal, Inappropriate Behavior and "Dumb Book" Among 173,000 Leaked Sony Emails Archived by Wikileaks
* 'Days of our Lives' Casting Two Teen Roles: Danielle and Mason