"After last year’s overwhelming response, it is with great excitement and pride that we announce, today, the opening for submissions in all Daytime Emmy Award genres,” said Bob Mauro, President, NATAS. “Having raised the Daytime franchise to compete with the other premier awards shows on television, we are anticipating a record year for entries and look forward to another outstanding celebration of everything that makes Daytime television special and unique.”
“Daytime television continues to evolve and each year I am humbled by the depth of talent and production that takes place day in and day out in our industry,” said David Michaels, Senior Executive Director, Daytime Emmy Awards. “With the proliferation of new programming and the continuous innovations in how, where and when we watch Daytime television, I am looking forward to another year of growth and excellence for the Daytime genre.”
In other announcements, the Daytime Creative Arts Emmy Awards will take place on Friday, April 29th, 2016 while the Daytime Emmy Awards will take place on Sunday, May 1, 2016. Both events will take place in Los Angeles, CA with venues still to be determined.
* The single acting category associated with the newly renamed Outstanding Digital Daytime Drama Series program category has now expanded to two categories: Outstanding Actress in a Digital Daytime Drama Series and Outstanding Actor in a Digital Daytime Drama Series. Both categories recognize the work of a performer in either a lead or supporting role.
* The Daytime Emmy® Awards introduces a new category for Outstanding Musical Performance in a Talk Show/Morning Program. The Award recognizes the work of the Principle Artist and the Program’s production of the performance. Multiple entries will be accepted for performances by different musical artists appearing on the program throughout the 2015 Calendar year.
CATEGORY CHANGES AND ADJUSTMENTS
* For the Blue Ribbon Judging round, Performers from the six Drama performer categories can now submit up to 20 minutes TRT of appearances from any TWO Episodes from the 2015 Calendar year.
* New Approaches Drama Series has a new category name – Outstanding Digital Daytime Drama Series.
* The New Approaches categories each have a new category name – Interactive Media – Enhancement to a Daytime Program or Series and Interactive Media – Original Daytime Program or Series.
* The two Original Song categories for Non-Drama daytime programming have been folded in to ONE category. Outstanding Original Song will now include title and promo songs along with songs featured within a program.
* The Promo Institutional category is now Outstanding Promotional Announcement – Image and the Promo Episodic category is now Outstanding Promotional Announcement – Topical.
* Travel Program is now Outstanding Travel and Adventure Program.
* Stunt Coordinators may now submit a clip reel of stunt sequences from a series over the eligibility year in the Outstanding Stunt Coordination category.
* The Outstanding Single Camera Photography category is now Outstanding Cinematography. The category allows programs that are shot using a single camera style and those that employ second units and minimal additional footage.
* Writers on Game Shows will be included on the Outstanding Game Show Program Category, and not eligible to enter Outstanding Special Class Writing.
The Daytime Emmy Awards recognize outstanding achievement in Daytime programming broadcast between the hours of 2:00AM and 6:00PM, by conferring annual awards of merit in various categories. The presentation of these awards is intended to be an incentive for the continued pursuit of excellence. Eligible programs must have originally aired between January 1, 2015 and December 31, 2015.